One of the most common complaints I hear from my clients is their lack of energy to get through their day. It seems that our lives are constantly rushed, with little time to rest when we feel run down. Between jobs, running the kids around, keeping up with household chores and shopping, it can feel like we are on a hamster wheel. Many times we turn to coffee and other caffeinated beverages to help us get through the day. However, the problem with caffeine is that it can cause nervousness, jitters, headaches, stomach upset and many other issues.
So how can we skip the chemical energy drinks and improve our energy naturally? Here are my top 5 ways to boost energy and fight fatigue:
- Exercise daily. I know this seems next to impossible when you are tired. However, exercising sends oxygen and nutrients to your cells and will give you more energy. Any amount of exercise will perk you up and once you get going, you will be glad you did.
- Get quality sleep. Sleep is important for repairing and restoring your body. Skimping on sleep will only work against you. It can cause weight gain and impair your immune system. In order to get quality sleep, shut down your computer and phone at least 30 minutes before turn in to bed. Eliminate caffeine completely after 3pm. Try reading a book instead of watching television. Also, use essential oil diffusers which are great for relaxation. Add a few drops of lavender in your diffuser and keep it next to your bed to help you relax.
- Reduce simple carbohydrate consumption. Simple carbs such as white flours, candy and soda will spike your blood sugar and lead to sugar crashes. For healthier snacks, choose low glycemic foods such as oatmeal and nuts.
- Stay hydrated. Dehydration can cause fatigue. Many times, people do not realize they are dehydrated and end up eating instead. As a general rule, you should drink half your bodyweight in ounces of water per day.
- Use peppermint essential oil to boost energy. Peppermint essential oil is stimulating to the brain. Diffuse in your work space or apply to your temples for an instant energy boost.