Living an active lifestyle is key to optimal health. Whether you are an athlete, fitness enthusiast, runner or just an active person, there are bound to be issues that can interfere with your physical activities. The last thing you want is to not be able to do the things you love to do, because you are feeling uncomfortable or unwell.
If you are an athlete or runner, you likely dedicate a significant amount of time toward improving your performance. Any success in your sport is dependent upon overall good health and the ability to recover quickly.
People will often purchase expensive supplements to help them feel and perform better. While some of these aids may be recommended, oftentimes, they do nothing to help the problem or can even be dangerous.
As an avid runner myself, there are times when it can be a challenge to maintain a regular running regimen due to environmental factors, energy levels and nagging injuries. I personally prefer to use natural solutions when addressing any health issues. I believe the body can heal itself with food and plant-based medicine, such as essential oils.
Essential oils can be helpful in areas you may not be aware of. Here are just some ways that essential oils can support an active person or athlete:
- Pain and inflammation
- Immune support
- Allergies and sinus issues
- Weight loss and metabolism
- Cuts and wounds/first aid
- Relaxation and stress/anxiety
- Mental focus
- After-sports massage
- Stinky sports gear or gym bag
- Cleaning gym bag, mat or sports equipment
So what are essential oils exactly? Essential oils are extracts from plants. They are 50-70 times more powerful than herbs. Essential oils have been in existence for thousands of years and were used for healing before there were doctors and pharmaceutical companies. They are used for many medicinal and therapeutic benefits. Essential oils can be used aromatically, topically and internally for a wide variety of health concerns, as well as for a natural lifestyle in the home.
There is a vast difference in the quality of essential oils since there is no governing body in the essential oil industry. I partner with DoTerra essential oils because of their rigorous 3rd party testing for potency and purity. DoTerra oils are certified pure therapeutic grade oils (CPTG) which ensures that they are 100% free from all toxins, pesticides, fillers and chemicals.
Here are some of my favorite essential oils and top uses for athletes and those living an active lifestyle:
Deep Blue is an amazing soothing blend that can be applied topically to relieve sore and tight muscles.
- Apply a few drops with carrier oil to areas of concern for aches, muscle, back and joint pain. It is also helpful for relief from symptoms of fibromyalgia and lupus.
- Use before and after a workout for sore areas.
- Also useful for carpal tunnel pain, neck pain, arthritis, bruises and injuries.
Peppermint is my absolute favorite because of its wide variety of uses.
- Inhale a drop or two from hands before your activity for clear breathing and for energy.
- Add 15 drops peppermint to a 1 oz spray bottle with water for a cooling spray during warmer months. Spray on chest, arms and back of neck as needed.
- For oxygen uptake, add a few drops of peppermint to your water before workouts.
- Apply 2-3 drops to temples and across forehead for headaches and migraines.
Breathe is an excellent respiratory blend that contains eucalyptus, lemon, melaleuca, peppermint.
- Apply 2-3 drops to nostrils and to the chest before exercise to clear congestion and open airways. Excellent for asthma sufferers as well.
- Add 8-10 drops to a diffuser for clear breathing and allergies.
Lavender helps to relax the mind and body.
- For sleep issues, add 8-10 drops to a diffuser 30 minutes before bed. Keep near the bed.
- Apply 1-2 drops direct to cuts, burns and bruises and blisters.
- Add 3-4 drops to body lotion and apply each evening to reduce muscle soreness and inflammation.
- Add 3-4 drops to coconut oil for sunburn relief and a remedy for chafing.
Tea Tree is an excellent first aid and disinfecting oil.
- Freshen up athletic gear with melaleuca and lemon. Add 5-10 drops of lemon and melaleuca with a little baking soda on to shoes and gear.
- Add 2-3 drops direct to skin irritations, cuts and wounds, acne, toe fungus, eczema, candida, and Athlete’s foot.
- Add a few drops to shampoo for dandruff remedy.
- Apply a few drops to coconut oil for hives or rashes.
On Guard provides immune support and protection from seasonal threats. It is especially helpful during prolonged and heavy training when there is a depression of immune system function. Extreme training can stress the immune system and make you more vulnerable to certain illnesses. Clove, which is contained in On Guard, has the highest level of antioxidants on the planet.
- Add 1-2 drops to coffee, tea or water to boost immune function.
- Gargle 1-2 drops in water for a sore throat or cough.
- Apply 1-2 drops with coconut oil to heal cold sores and infected wounds.
- For chronic fatigue and autoimmune issues take 2-3 drops internally or apply diluted to bottoms of feet.
- Add 8-10 drops to diffuser to prevent the spread of airborne pathogens.
For more information on essential oils or to purchase and receive a 25% wholesale discount, visit my website at www.PureFitWomen.fit.
If you would like more info on how to get started with essential oils, contact me at Amandapurefit@gmail.com.