People strive for wellness in life. “Wellness” can be characterized by not only the absence of disease, but by feeling generally healthy and being able to enjoy life. How you feel physically and emotionally, determines the state of your overall health and well-being.
Poor lifestyle habits put people at high risk for many physical and mental diseases. In addition, stress-related ailments, combined with a genetic predisposition, can trigger a health crisis. Our culture encourages a dependence on doctors and drugs to heal these physical and emotional issues.
It is clear that negative behaviors and lifestyle choices such as poor stress management, inadequate nutrition, lack of exercise and sleep, smoking and drinking are major contributors to illness.
Modern medicine focuses on diagnosis and treatment, whereas a wellness lifestyle focuses on education, self-awareness and prevention.
Instead of merely treating the disease, the wellness lifestyle addresses its causes of the “dis-ease” in the body and assists the body in healing itself.
The wave of the future is to nurture the mind, body and spirit for optimal health. Ultimately, the key to wellness is to simply learn what serves the body, then restoring to the body what it needs for lasting wellness.
Besides a healthy diet, and proper rest, we must pay attention to what we put on our bodies as well. In today’s world, we are bombarded with products for everything. Between skin care, makeup and personal care products, our bathrooms are packed with products for everything imaginable.
Unfortunately, many of these products are harmful to our health. It may surprise you to know that the federal law on cosmetics and other personal care products have not been updated for nearly 80 years.
Some chemicals contained in cosmetics have been linked to many health problems, including allergies, asthma, headaches, skin issues, and even cancer. The good news is that there are natural and safe options to all of these products through the use of essential oils.
Plant remedies, known as essential oils, have been used throughout the world for thousands of years. It is one of nature’s most powerful tools available to help the body heal itself.
We can use essential oils can be used every aspect of our daily lives. Typical uses include cleaning, cooking, skin care, immune support, animal care, purifying the air and supporting emotional and physical needs of the body.
The overall quality of essential oils is extremely important when using them therapeutically. The most important factor in selecting essential oils, is that are thoroughly tested and certified for purity and potency.
There are some essential oils that are popular for their many uses and are considered daily use oils. Below I have listed my most used oils in our home and some ways you can use them.
- antioxidant, antimicrobial, sedative, calming and antidepressant properties.
- Gentle enough to be applied directly to skin.
- Universal oil (can be used for almost anything).
- Reduces anxiety and emotional stress. Improves mood. Add a few drops to a diffuser or to pulse points and over heart area when feeling anxious.
- Use as a natural perfume.
- Add a few drops to your body lotion to beautify skin.
- Make a natural room spray by adding a few drops of lavender and wild orange to a glass bottle with a tablespoon of witch hazel.
- Add a couple drops to coconut oil or aloe vera to heal a sunburn.
- Protect against diabetes symptoms.
- Improve brain function. Supportive for those with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Help to heal burns and wounds. For burn relief, cuts and scrapes, mix 3-5 drops of lavender with ½ tsp fractionated coconut oil and apply to area of concern.
- Improve sleep and insomnia. Diffuse lavender in bedroom 30 minutes before sleep. Rub 3-5 drops on your neck , chest and temples.
- Add a few drops to bath.
- Improve skin complexion and acne. Mix 3-4 drops with ½ tsp of coconut oil. You can also add lavender to face wash or body wash. Mix with frankincense oil and apply to your skin in morning and night and after shower. This will help reduce inflammation, dark spots and aging.
- Relieve pain such as menstrual pain and arthritis. Rub into area of concern to reduce inflammation and pain intensity.
- Natural aid for those experiencing stress, nausea, chronic pain and depression. Stimulates immune system, boosts mood, improves sleep and fight stress.
- Natural headache remedy. Mix 2 drops each lavender, peppermint and frankincense and rub on back of neck and temples. Diffusing and inhaling the essential oil will also help.
Invigorating, antimicrobial, cooling and refreshing properties
- Freshens breath. Add a few drops to 8 oz of water for a homemade mouthwash.
- Soothe digestive issues. Apply a few drops to abdomen diluted with coconut oil.
- Improves mental focus and alertness, especially for ADHD. Diffuse 4 drops each of peppermint and wild orange for a focus blend.
- Clears respiratory airways due to allergies, colds, bronchitis and asthma. Diffuse 4-6 drops of peppermint and lemon. Inhale directly from the bottle or your hands.
- Boosts energy. Apply to temples and back of neck.
- Reduce hunger cravings. Apply to temples and abdomen.
- Pain relief. Apply to area of concern with coconut oil for back pain, tight muscles or headache. Make a homemade muscle rub with a small amount of coconut oil mixed with 2 drops each of peppermint, lavender and frankincense.
- Invigorating shampoo. Add 2 drops to shampoo.
- Anti-itch. For any rash, mix with lavender to cool and sooth any itch
- Lower a fever. Mix with carrier oil and rub 2-4 drops on neck and feet to lower body temperature.
- Natural bug repellent. Add 4-5 drops of peppermint,melaleuca and eucalyptus with water and a tablespoon of witch hazel for an effective bug repellent.
- Reduce nausea. Add 2 drops to 8oz of water or apply a few drops behind the ears.
- Natural cleanser.
- Oral health and remedy for bad breath. Gargle with one drop of lemon in water.
- Digestion. Add 1-2 drops of lemon to your water.
- Thirst quencher
- Relieve a cough. Gargle with 1-2 drops of lemon in water.
- Boosts metabolism.
- Detox and lymphatic cleansing – take internally or apply topically to ears and bottoms of feet.
- Heartburn and reflux -1-2 drops internally with water.
- Congestion and mucus – rub topically over chest and diffuse 4-6 drops of lemon and peppermint.
- Stress – diffuse 4-6 drops with lavender to ease stress and improve mood.
- Runny nose and allergies – inhale or apply topically over bridge of nose.
- Varicose veins – apply topically 1-2 drops with coconut oil.
- Concentration – diffuse 4-6 drops with 4 drops rosemary essential oil.
- Degreaser and furniture polish – 10-15 drops mixed with water in spray bottle.
- Natural disinfectant cleaner – 20 drops lemon 20 drops melaluca , 1/2 cup vinegar 16 0z water for an all purpose cleaning spray
- Natural teeth whitener – 2-3 drops lemon oil, 1tbs baking soda and 1 tbs coconut oil. Rub on teeth for 2 min and rinse thoroughly.
Antimicrobial, antibacterial, antiviral
- Acne, cold sores, congestion, respiratory issues, earaches, fungal infections , lice, mrsa, psoriasis, insect bites, sunburns, staph infections
- Antimicrobial laundry cleaner. Add a few drops to each load of laundry to kill germs.
- Insect repellant. (see peppermint uses above)
- Acne face wash. Add 2 drops melaleuca and lavender to your face cleanser.
- Foot odor. Add a few drops to insoles of shoes.
- Household cleaner (see above lemon uses).
- Removes mold. Spray on shower after use.
- Eczema and psoriasis – to relieve any skin inflammation 5 drops melaluca and 5 drops lavender, diluted with coconut oil .
- Toe fungus – mix with oregano undiluted , great for removing warts directly on area for 30 days 1-2 x a day
- Kills mold – spray on shower or in laundry, toilet or any area that has mold.
- Mouthwash. Add 1-2 drops to water and rinse.
- Provides many health benefits. Enhances the power of any essential oil.
- Relieves stress, depression and anxiety. Balances emotions and hormones. Add 4 drops frankincense and 4 drops lavender to the diffuser.
- Reduce pain and inflammation. Add 2-3 drops with coconut oil to area of pain.
- Boost immunity. Apply 2 drops to bottoms of feet morning and night.
- Anti-cancer properties.
- Anti-aging and wrinkle fighter. Add a few drops to your face cream.
- Aids in wound healing and scar repair. Apply 2-3 drops to the wound 2 times per day.
- Helps with stretch marks, acne and age spots. Apply 2-3 drops diluted with coconut oil.
Visit my doterra store to purchase these amazing oils and get your own wholesale membership account.