Summer is a time when people are planning for vacations such as international travel, camping trips, road trips, cruises and airplane travel.
There are so many things that can come up when you are away from home. There is nothing worse than being uncomfortable or dealing with a health issue when traveling, especially with kids.
Having essential oils with you can solve many unexpected issues that can arise. I personally use a convenient travel case that I like to refer to as my “tool box” for my oils when away from home.
For traveling by airplane, here are some helpful tips:
- If you are bringing only a carry on bag, you can take your essential oil bottles on the plane (they meet the TSA limit of 3 oz). Be sure to seal them in baggies to prevent spills.
- Essential oils can have strong scents that can irritate other passengers. So be sure to put the oil on before boarding (preferably on the bottoms of your feet) or use in a diluted form.
- Wipe down your airplane try with essential oils such as OnGuard Hand Sanitizer, Melaleuca or Slim and Sassy.
For traveling by car:
- Keep your doTerra keychain handy for the car and keep in console for easy access while on the road.
- If you are feeling sleepy, you can put peppermint oil on a cotton ball in your air vents. You can also inhale peppermint from the palms of your hands. Most importantly, take a break and pull over if necessary.
- For motion sickness, use digestzen, ginger or peppermint by inhaling from palms of hands. You can also apply to behind ears and to stomach.
Here is a list of my MUST HAVE essential oils for travel:
- Fractionated coconut oil – use for dilution of oils and so many other issues such as sunburn, makeup remover, body moisturizer, chafing, eczema, etc.
- On Guard – A must have for immune support. Helps protect you in crowded areas such as airplanes, amusement parks and cruises. Apply a drop to your hands and inhale before entering these areas. Also apply the touch blend to your feet morning and night. Apply diluted for cold sores every few hours.
- Melaleuca – for any skin issues that arise such as rashes, sunburn, bug bites, acne, cold sores. Apply a couple of drops diluted with coconut oil.
- Lavender – considered a universal oil for sleep, rashes, sunburn, stress and anxiety for travel, allergies, pain, cuts, wounds, headaches. Apply a few drops to your pillow at night to help with sleep. Add a few drops to your body lotion after a day in the sun.
- Peppermint – for mental alertness, fevers, allergies, hives, headaches, digestive issues, pain, heat exhaustion, dizziness. Add a few drops to coconut oil and apply to area of concern. For mental alertness, apply a few drops behind your ears.
- Frankincense – considered the “king of essential oils”, you can use frankincense to enhance the power of any other oil. Use frankincense for emotional balance, anxiety, depression, scars, rashes, stretch marks, boost immune system, congestion, cough, allergies. Apply a few drops with peppermint and rosemary to clear airways. Add a few drops to coconut oil and apply to any areas of pain.
- Digestzen – for bloating, gas, nausea, reflux, indigestion, motion sickness, food poisoning, diarrhea, and constipation. Apply over stomach for any digestive issues. Take internally 1-2 drops in water. For motion sickness, inhale from the bottle or apply under nose and behind ears.
- Deep blue – for muscle, back, joint pain, arthritis, aches, pre and post workout, headache and neck pain, bruises, fibromyalgia, lupus, injuries. Apply a few drops diluted with coconut oil to area of concern.
- Lemon – for detox, congestion and mucous, stress, runny nose and allergies, heartburn and reflux. Take internally in water to help flush out toxins. Gargle one drop in 4 oz of water for sore throat or mucous.
- Terrashield – convenient blend for outdoor threats. Apply with fractionated coconut oil to help the blend stay on the skin longer.
Must have recipes for travel:
Outdoor Protectant Spray
4 ounce glass spray bottle
20 drops Terrashield
Add distilled water and essential oil. Apply every 3-4 hours.
Bed Bug Spray
2 ounce spray bottle.
Add 10 drops melaleuca and 10 drops peppermint mixed with water. Spray bedding and seats and suitcases.
8 ounce glass bottle
½ cup aloe vera juice
3 tbs fractionated coconut oil
4 drops lavender
4 drops melaleuca
4 drops peppermint
2 drops frankincense
Combine in spray bottle and apply to affected areas.
Heat Exhaustion Spray
8 ounces water
2 tsp witch hazel
10 drops peppermint
Combine in a small spray bottle for instant cooling.
For travel, these are some additional recommendations:
Visit my doTERRA store to get your travel oils at a 25% wholesale discount.