There are many commercial products to help reduce the signs of aging, but I always questioned if they actually work. In addition, I have concerns about the harmful chemicals contained in these products, since many companies are not required to disclose all the ingredients on their label. I prefer to use natural options for my skin care.
As we age, the skin begins to break down and lose elasticity. This is what causes fine lines and wrinkles to appear on the face, particularly on the forehead and around the mouth and eyes.
Essential oils may help reduce the appearance of fine lines and prevent new ones. They are much less expensive than anti-aging skin care products you will find in department stores. They are also cost effective as well, because you can use essential oils for many unrelated uses.
So how do you use essential oils for anti-aging skin care?
It’s simple! All you will need are some basic essential oils listed below, a carrier oil of your choice (such as fractionated coconut oil, argan oil, jojoba oil or any other oil you choose) and a facial moisturizer.
The best way to clean your skin and wash makeup off your face is to do Oil Cleansing. Oil Cleansing will prevent stripping away the natural oils from your skin when you wash your face.
Oil Cleansing Recipe
2-3 drops lavender essential oil
1 tsp carrier oil
Mix into hand and apply all over face. Take a warm, wet washcloth and gently wipe oil off face. Your face will feel soft and moisturized.
To stimulate collagen production and help with fine lines and wrinkles, add a few drops of essential oils such as copaiba, frankincense or myrrh to your facial moisturizer each night at bedtime.
For a homemade anti-aging eye cream, make a simple eye cream using a tablespoon of solid coconut oil, 3-4 drops of rose or myrrh essential oil and 3-4 drops of copaiba or sandalwood and gently rub cream around eyes each night.
For a natural glow and to stimulate collagen production, apply a few drops carrier oil with a few drops Yarrow Pom on a clean face every night. Don’t forget to do your neck too!
Here are my top picks for anti-aging essential oils:
You can combine any of them in your recipes or
switch it up every now and then.
- Copaiba – great for anti-aging skin, wound healing and to stimulate collagen production.
- Yarrow Pom – when applied to the skin, pomegranate may reduce the appearance of sun spots, reduce inflammation, reduce oxidative stress and stop the growth of rogue cells.
- Frankincense – reduces the appearance of scars, fine lines, stretch marks and improves skin tone and skin tightening. Promotes cell renewal.
- Rose – reduces puffiness and redness, promotes cell renewal, and has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Lavender – for age spots, calming skin irritations, acne and skin cell regeneration.
- Myrrh – useful for fine lines and dry skin.
- Sandalwood – for regenerating skin care, helps with sun damage and aging skin. Fights free radicals, tones and soothes the surface of skin while fighting the signs of aging.
- Immortelle – a powerful anti-aging blend that contains multiple essential oils (this product by itself is all you need for an anti-aging powerhouse).
Some of my favorite Anti-aging products