Athletes of every sport dedicate much of their time toward improving their performance and pushing their bodies to the next level. An athletes’ success in their sport is dependent upon overall good health, ability to recover quickly and maintain a positive mindset.
Athletes will commonly purchase various aids or supplements to help them feel and perform better. While some of these aids can be helpful, often times, these items do nothing to help the problem.
A natural and super-effective tool for athletes is the use of essential oils. Essential oils can be particularly useful for athletes for immune support, performance boosting, soothe achy muscles, antimicrobial healing, and a non-toxic solution to stinky gear.
So what are essential oils exactly? Essential oils are extracts from plants. They are 50-70 times more powerful than herbs. Essential oils have been in existence for thousands of years and were used before there were doctors and pharmaceutical companies. They are used for many medicinal and therapeutic benefits.
There is a vast difference in the quality of essential oils since there is no governing body for essential oil companies to answer to. I choose to use doTERRA Essential Oils because of their rigorous 3rd party testing for potency and purity. doTERRA oils are certified pure therapeutic grade oils (CPTG) which ensures that they are 100% free from all toxins, pesticides, fillers and chemicals.
Here are my top picks for the best essential oils for athletes to have on hand:
Peppermint – invigorating, analgesic, anti inflammatory, cooling, vasoconstrictor. Topical application and inhalation has been shown to improve pain tolerance and workload effort.
- relieves nausea and indigestion,
- improves mental alertness and concentration,
- relieves aches and pains,
- improves respiratory function,
- helps lower body temperature,
- helps boost performance.
- Use in spray bottle for overheating
- Repels bugs
- fevers /hot flashes
- Bad breath
Breathe – respiratory blend that contains eucalyptus, lemon, melaleuca, peppermint.
- Amazing for opening up airways.
- Pneumonia and asthma
- Allergies, cough, congestion, bronchitis and flu, sinusitis and nasal polyps
- Apply to nostril area and to chest before exercise
- Diffuse into air for clear breathing, allergies
- Put on before you go outdoors
Lavender – astringent, antihistamine, analgesic, antibacterial, antispasmodic, regenerative, sedative.
- helps relax the mind and body. Stress, anxiety and teeth grinding
- Sleep issues. Topical application and inhalation has been shown to improve pain tolerance and workload effort.
- Can help soothe and heal cuts, burns and bruises and blisters
- sunburns, burns and scars
- Allergies and hay fever
- Reduces pain and inflammation
- Migraines and headaches
- Rub on neck for neck pain, sunburn, remedy for chafing, add to a relaxing bath at night, yoga mat disinfectant spray.
- DIY dry shampoo for athletes
Melaleuca – antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic, analgesic, antiparasitic, antiviral, decongestant, antimicrobial .
- Freshen up athletic gear with melaleuca and lemon. Add 5-10 drops of lemon and melaleuca with a little baking soda on to shoes and gear.
- For skin irritations, cuts and wounds.
- Acne, toe fungus, eczema, candida, Athlete’s foot, staph and mrsa
- Bronchitis cold and flu
- Hives, rash and itchy eyes
OnGuard – contains clove, cinnamon , rosemary, eucalyptus and wild orange. Provides immune support and protection from seasonal threats and especially during prolonged and heavy training, there is a depression of immune system functions. Training hard can actually stress the immune system and make you more vulnerable to certain illnesses. Clove has the highest level of antioxidants you can find.
- Colds and flu
- Staph, strep and coughs
- Antiseptic cleaner
- Urinary tract support (take internally or apply to lower abdomen)
- Cold sores, warts and infected wounds
- Oral health
- Fungal and parasite issues
- Chronic fatigue and autoimmune (take internally or apply to bottoms of feet)
- Killing germs and airborne pathogens
Deep Blue – soothing blend . A must have for any athlete. Contains wintergreen, and blue tansy and peppermint and chamomile.
- Applied topically to soothe sore and tight muscles.
- Cooling benefits.
- Arthritis and aches
- muscle , back and joint pain
- Growing pains.
- Fibromyalgia and lupus
- Pre and post workout
- Relief after a strenuous day.
- Carpal tunnel, neck pain, arthritis.
- Bruises and injuries,
For more information on essential oils, visit my Essential Oils Blog on my website at www.PureFitWomen.fit. If you would like more info on how to get started with essential oils, contact me at Amandapurefit@gmail.com or you can go direct to my DoTerra website at www.mydoterra.com/amandamancini.