As a mom, I want to be sure that my kids live in a home that is free of as many harmful products as possible. Most of us are unaware of common products in our homes that can cause serious health problems. Unless you begin to look into what is contained in these common products, people just do not realize they can cause allergies, asthma, endocrine disruption, and even cancer.
In my journey toward a more natural lifestyle, I started to think about the safety of the products I was using on myself and my children. Most of what we put on our skin is absorbed into the body. I decided to make some gradual changes toward making better choices for the health of my family.
Here are my top 5 steps toward creating a more natural and toxin-free home.
- Replace processed foods with real foods. This may seem tough at first but my advice to you is to involve your kids in the process. Take them on a shopping trip and make a game of trying to find healthier versions of the foods they like. Or involve them in the kitchen with you by helping to peel carrots or arrange different vegetables on a veggie platter. Kids love to help.
- Make your own green cleaning products. Eliminate harmful inhalation of traditional cleaning products. Replace with inexpensive and effective products such as vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and essential oils.
- Replace personal care products with natural alternatives. There are many natural products with less chemicals you can purchase such as deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo and lotions. You can also save money by making your own simple recipes with products such as coconut oil, cornstarch, witch hazel and essential oils.
- Reduce waste that you create in your home. We are all trying to help the environment and reduce the amount of trash we create. Recycle empty containers and use them for other things. Make your own cleaning supplies with empty wine bottles. Use empty mason jars for storing small objects such as cotton balls and arts and crafts.
- Use alternative remedies for common ailments. Before turning to over the counter medications for common ailments, consider using essential oils or home remedies for minor conditions. For example, melaleuca essential oil is great for acne and can be a very effective form of treatment with no side effects, such as dry skin from traditional medications.
Moving toward a more natural lifestyle will take time. Little changes will make big changes in your health. Visit my website www.Purefitwomen.fit for more info on healthy tips, recipes and essential oils.