A healthy immune system protects our bodies from threats in the environment. We are bombarded with chemicals and toxins in our food, water, household products, personal care products and even in the air we breathe. These exposures can wreak havoc on our immune system. Most of the time, we don’t think about our immune system until we feel sick. We just don’t have time to feel under the weather! Being sick means loss days from work and school, copays to the doctor, and expensive medications (many times unnecessary ones).
So what can we do to boost our immune system and avoid issues with our health?
Here are some helpful tips:
- Get enough sleep and minimize stress. Sleep deprivation and excessive stress will suppress immune function.
- Exercise daily. Exercise is a natural way to rid your body of toxins through sweating. Aim for 30 minutes of a sweat session daily.
- Drink less alcohol. Alcohol can impair the immune system and dehydrate you. Instead, drink up to a gallon of water per day or half your body weight in ounces per day.
- Eat high antioxidant foods such as berries, ginger and carrots.
- Get some sun. Sun triggers the production of vitamin D. Low vitamin D levels correlate with a greater risk of respiratory infection. Take a Vitamin D supplement in the winter months.
- Wash hands often. This habit will drastically reduce the chances of getting sick. Be sure to use soap that is not filled with chemicals and toxins. Using a simple castile soap and a few drops of tea tree oil (aka melaleuca) is all that is needed.
- Take probiotics. Probiotics help with a healthy gut flora. Be sure to use a high quality brand.
- Use pure essential oils to boost your immunity. Essential oils are immunostimulants. They can support the immune system so it can do what it is intended to do which is fight infections and keep us healthy!
Here are my top picks for essential oils that can support your immune system:
- Frankincense – known as the “king of essential oils, frankincense can stimulate the immune system by promoting the production of white blood cells and reducing inflammation. Take 1-2 drops internally or apply 2 drops each day to the bottoms of feet. You can also apply 1-2 drops to the base of your neck.
- On Guard Blend – this powerful protective blend contains oils such as clove, cinnamon and thyme to support our body’s natural defenses. This is a daily use oil. Apply 2-3 drops per day to bottoms of your feet (dilute with a carrier oil) for protective support during cold and flu season. You can also add to a diffuse. Use 4-6 drops to support the immune system.
- Copaiba – this amazing oil supports healthy cardiovascular, immune, digestive and respiratory systems. Take 1-2 drops internally or apply 2 drops each day to the bottoms of feet.
- Lemon – Lemon essential oil is a lymph tonic. It helps your body move cellular waste out of the body during times when your body is fighting infections such as a cold or flu. Apply 2-3 drops to the back of your neck with 1 teaspoon of carrier oil to stimulate lymph drainage. Add 2-4 drops of lemon in water daily.
- Oregano – Use to support a healthy respiratory system. Dilute 2-3 drops in a carrier oil and rub on bottoms of feet to help fight cold or flu. You can also take this internally.
To order your essential oils at wholesale prices and to be part of our essential oil community, click here.